Introductory B12, Flu & Pneumococcal Injection Training for HCAs & HCSWs
Tuesday 1 September 2020 at New Life Centre
This is a multi-day (non-consecutive) event.
Times: 13:30 - 17:00
An opportunity for experienced Healthcare Assistants to learn the theory and practice of adult flu and pneumococcal vaccination and B12 injections: training designed for those new to vaccination. This course is aimed at those new to immunising and meets the PHE National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Healthcare Support Workers (2015)
The course will be delivered through two 3.5 hour webinars and one 3 hour practical workshop.
- Ist Session - Tuesday 1st September 2020 at 13:30hrs to 17:00hrs (Webinar)
- 2nd Session - Thursday 3rd September 2020 at 13:30hrs to 17:00hrs (Webinar)
- 3rd Session - Thursday 17th September 2020 at 13:30hrs to 16:30hrs (Face to Face)
Delegates must be able to attend both webinars and the practical workshop.
- Experienced HCAs/ HCSWs
Delegates must be level 3 qualified with a minimum of 2 years’ experience as an HCA
- Aims of current influenza and pneumococcal vaccine policy
- The immune response to influenza, shingles and/or pneumococcal vaccines and how they work
- Vaccine preventable diseases – influenza and pneumococcal disease
- The different types of vaccines, their composition and the indications and contraindications for influenza and pneumococcal vaccines and B12 injections
- Current issues relating to influenza and pneumococcal vaccines
- Communication with patients about influenza and pneumococcal vaccines and B12 injections
- Legal aspects of prescription drugs including consent and use of Patient Specific Directions (PSDs) and Patient Group Directions (PGDs)
- Storage and handling of vaccines and other POMs
- Correct administration of vaccines and B12 injections via the intramuscular route
- Anaphylaxis and adverse reactions
- Documentation, record keeping and reporting
- Strategies for the effective organisation of vaccination sessions
- The role of the HCSW as an immuniser (to include: role limitations, the role of others in immunisation)
- Support for the HCSW eg supervision, mentorship and reflection
All delegates will participate in a skills workshop to learn the necessary skills to perform safe injection technique.
This programme is based on the PHE National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Healthcare Support Workers (2015), guidance of professional bodies and the Department of Health 'Immunisation against Infectious Disease' 2006 ('Green Book') online and PHE update letters.
All delegates MUST complete pre-course e-learnng which will emailed to them prior to the course. Delegates must also pass an MCQ paper on their training day.
On completion of the course, all delegates will have to undergo a period of supervised practice in their workplace and formal assessment of competency.
All delegates will receive a PCCPD certificate of attendance, workbook and assessment forms to use in their workplace.
- To book pleas log in, enter the number of places you need and complete the booking form. Please make sure a direct email address is provided for the actual attendee (not just for the person booking). Please ensure that the attendee can attend all three dates before booking the place.
- Once the place has been booked, we will ask your manage to confirm via email, that you/ the attendee meet the entry requirements.
- Once confirmation has been received the training provider, Primary Care CPD Training Ltd, will send the link via email to register & join the webinars.
As there is a face to face element to this training we have put extra precautions in place to protect attendees, trainers and the staff at the venue:
- All attendees are required to wear a face mask.
- The venue & training room will be laid out to enable social distancing as per the current guidelines.
- All attendees will be provided with individual bottles of water/ refreshments and self service will not be available.
- Windows in the training room will be kept open.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has symptoms please let us know and do not attend.
If you have any questions relating to Covid-19 and the face to face part of the training, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Life Centre
Sleaford New Life Conference & Events Centre, Mareham Lane, Sleaford, NG34 7JP
Is the training accessible to wheelchairs? Please contact event organisers to discuss
Name: Rosa Wyldeman
Phone: 01522 576659
If you have any communication or mobility needs that the event organisers need to be aware of please contact them in advance of the course to let them know.
Event has taken place
This event is in the past and has already taken place.